Saturday, October 23, 2004

Teen angst and a shower

I woke up today and I felt refreshed, for once. This week has been very hard: three exams, a lab and a lot of theory to learn. Theory that I may use, but when I will have to use it, I'll have books, people and experience to refer to. And time. Which makes tests not apt to effectively "test" an individual. I mean come on, when am I going to have to calculate the half-life of 13,8 kg or plutonium, the limiting reactant in a chemical reaction or the amount of alun (an aluminum/sulfic acid/positive mono-atomic ion combination), all under a specific and small amount of time? "Pat! The core reactor is melting! You have to calculate the amount of energy released so that at least we know how little of us is going to remain after the reactor explodes! You have 5 minutes and you can't ask our 17 chemist to help or our team of specialized engineers!". But hey, you never know.

I came to the conclusion that it's to see who works, and who doesn't. Those that get good averages must be the ones that are going to be the best in a work environment! Hey! I know: let's teach our students that are trying to get into medicine just the theory, and when they get to actually work as doctors, they'll end up as machines who process patients like data. A word to the current teachers or methodology coordinators: you're the ones that are going to regret it when your doctors are going to prescribe you the wrong medication because they were too busy making a list of symptoms they thought you had when you were telling them what you knew was wrong. You're the ones who would've wished a diffent teaching method when your doctor writes the time of your death earlier because he "does not deem the time,effort and ressources of the hospital worth it". I don't care because if that happens, if I'm not a doctor( just like hundreds of people who may not have an average of 96% but have the ability to communicate with other human beings) I'll be the one selling your empty house or the one to write your death in the governmental annals. Kinda crappy eh? Tough.

Ah. Feels much better. I think the shower helped. Teenage angst is sooo liberating. Feels good!


I feel bad I haven't posted anything for a while, but lack of time, energy, and creative thought melded together to create what I like to call Post-Exam-Week-Stress-Disorder, or PEWSD. "PeeYOOzeDee" for pronouciation purposes. I was, however, able to read blogs like Random Thots by Nel. Great Writer! I love to hear her share from Malaysia. There's tons of interesting blogs out there, most of them largely more interesting and well-written than mine. *Sigh*. If only I had talent...

I'm going out for a walk. The sun has receded, and the wind dropped. Time to leave the comfortable cuccoon of my home and scurry "oot and aboot".

No comments: