Saturday, September 18, 2004

The birds are leaving

I just noticed that birds have stopped singing. It's 6 o'clock and not a sound out of those flying musicboxes. I guess autumn is really settling in.
I barely have nails left, having been at them all day re, re, re-reading the first book of the Dragonlance saga. It's title is Dragons of Autumn flame. Great book, I was able to read it in three days, being so caught up in it. I feel a tug to go at it with the other two of that trilogy, but I have an insurmountable amount of homework to do. So I've settled to work this evening followed by tomorrow all day. I hope.
Had a great training session yesterday. Found a dependable training partner. I'll finally be able to really exhaust myself and put on a couple more plates on the bench. So far I've promised myself to stay at 215 lbs, but seeing as to how fast my strengh was returning from this summer's inactivity, I'll start somewhere around 230 lbs next Monday.
Since I came here from the Maritimes, I've felt very sad about this new environment that I had to learn to love. It is not like the vast, open sea or the refreshing smell of the salted marshes. It is an akward existence I have lived here so far, every minute a moment of fleeting thought accompanied by an even more quieted sense of passage. It is as if I am visiting, everyday since this summer, thinking everything as a short-term visitor would. I guess what it all comes down to is that I'm simply unnacustomed to Quebec. They call it "La belle province", or the beautiful province, but so far I have been unable to see it. Sure, I've seen a lot of beautiful things and people in Quebec, but the land itself never appealed to me. Until today.
I just came back from gazing at the most beautiful sight I have seen in a long time. The sun, setting in the crimson leaves, lit my backyard aflame, leaving the rustling leaves to sigh as they slowly died away. When my body could move again, I litterally ran into the house, shoes and dirt and all, and ran for my camera. Finding it out of power, I cursed loudly and ran for a pen and pencil. I then did what I could, with my less-than-spartan skills as an artist. I thought of running to my friend's place and get his camera, but it seemed clear to me the sight was not gearing itself for a long stay. So I worked. I drew the trees, that usually never looked so colorful, until I felt I had the gist of it, or so to speak. Even now as I type, the sun leaves my backyard smoldering in darkening contrast with its colors now shining on the horizon. The sky is orange, with a light blue underneath, as if the clouds were quickly rushing to the setting sun. These two colors slowly fade, the yellowish-orange into wisps of dark red; the sky becoming scarlet, then purple. Damn it! Why isn't the camera recharged!!!
Well, I guess that's that, I better do some homework, or dent it at least.

No comments: